Disclaimer: I received four tubes of Science in Sport (SiS) Hydro Tablets to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!
In today’s news: Summer is nasty. We all know it. It always is.
Here in Virginia, I can choose between minimizing the temperature and sun exposure by running at 5:30am but with 99.99% humidity, or I can wait for the humidity to drop while hitting 95 degrees with a burning hot sun (oh, and it’s still humid too). Pick your poison.
I’m what you’d call an efficient sweater. My work juices start flowing sometimes before I even START my run. After a few miles, I’m just about soaked. I sometimes like to run long distances, so hydration is KEY. That goes for before, during and after running. When BibRave gave me the opportunity to test out a hydration related product, I jumped right on it!
Enter SiS hydro tablets…. These aren’t the first tablets that I’ve tried and I’m sure many of you can name at least one other brand with a similar product. I won’t do any sort of side by side comparison and call out other brands, but I’ll certainly talk about SiS vs. the others.
Here’s what I look for in a hydration product:
- Contains electrolytes to replenish the ones I’m sweating out.
- Simplicity is nice. Dropping a tablet in some water is pretty simple. No measuring. Very portable.
- Comes caffeinated for when I want a little boost.
- Last but certainly not least, TASTES YUMMY.
For most of these items, SiS is pretty equivalent to “the others”, but the last bullet was quite a difference maker to me. I tried 3 flavors: Cola (caffeinated), Lemon and Pineapple Mango.
- Lemon – This one had a nice, natural flavor that wasn’t too overwhelming, but also wasn’t weak. I found myself wanting to drink it and not just feeling that I needed to (more on that later). I went through 20 of these really quickly.
- Cola – I definitely rank this one 3rd of the 3 that I tried, but caffeine is always welcome. There were times I really liked it and there were times I really didn’t, so I started to get all scientific and play around with how much water I used. I found that I liked it stronger, so I stuck with using 8-10oz of water instead of 16oz like I did with the other flavors. I thought about using 4-6oz like an espresso shot.
- Pineapple Mango – YUM. This one is absolutely delicious. TBH, pineapple mango would have been my last choice and I’d have never bought it, but it’s amazing. I actually already bought 3 more tubes, so if they’re out of them….my bad! I thought about trying it with rum (cause why not), but I didn’t have any rum. Little help, please?
I was really glad to have tried SiS and as I said, I’ve already placed my first order. You get a pretty good value, since they come in tubes of 20. With some of the other hydration options, I haven’t been super excited to drink them. It’s been more like “I need this” than “I want this”. With SiS, I found myself happily dropping one in the glass. Proper hydration shouldn’t be a chore.
If you’d also like to give SiS a chance, use code BIBRAVE20 for 20% off of their hydro tablets. Cheers!